Mixed housing, Amsterdam
The Airey strip is a part of the General Expansion Plan (AUP) that architect Cornelis van Eesteren designed together with Th.K. van Lohuizen in 1934. This was the start for the urban expansion in the western part of Amsterdam and Buitenveldert for the following decades. The Airey Strip includes thirteen buildings on the north side of the Burgemeester de Vlugtlaan. This ensemble was realized in the fifties and designed by architect J. F. Berghoef in 1951 .
The prefabricated construction (the Nemavo Airey-system) was quit revolutionary for its time and frequently used to meet the strong demand for social housing after the second world war. Together with the the playful triangular open areas between the blocks, this strip became of high urban value. This special combination is found almost nowhere else in Amsterdam.
In 2010 they even declared this area monumental and a part of the Van Eesterenmuseum.
A large proportion of these dwellings has however been severely affected and almost impossible to renovate and reuse. Eigen Haard organized a competition and asked different architects to make a careful and respectful proposal for new housing for this strip.
We asked ourselves the question:
How do you create a new prefab system that combines the architectural qualities of the existing architecture, with the challenging possibilities of today?